Tuesday, August 10, 2010













These are our chickens. So far 3 of the 5 hens are laying eggs, the other 2 should join in soon. The black rooster is the one we butchered, his name was Oslo and he was a really good rooster. Cardinal is our Rhode Island Red and he's gorgeous. We wanted to enter him in the county fair but we just recently clipped his feathers to keep him out of other people's yards when we let them free range. The country fair won't even judge him with clipped feathers so I'm bummed cause he's beautiful. After butchering a chicken I don't know if I could do it again it was awful and especially since Robby and I didn't know what we were doing, but the kids aren't traumatized. Sammy personally wanted us to cut his head off so she could watch him run around I don't think she knew what she was saying cause I think that's pretty gross but more humane than what we went through. Sammy also wanted it to be Cardinal that was killed cause he's more aggressive.

No comments: